Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Situation Improving

Most of the flies have gone away, and the smell is very faint. I don't want anyone out there to worry. It wasn't really so bad. I think if you are more careful, it wouldn't happen at all. I did have to dig out some avocado peelings. They just got really hard and leathery in there (and there were a bunch too because I eat them all the time) and the worms didn't find that appetizing. I am learning they like mainly vegetables (like me!). I think the reason that previous batch had problems was because there was a bunch of rice in there and that's why it got weird. From now on, I will feed them only produce. Fruit seems okay but it gets funny and moldy really fast. I don't know if that is a problem or not.
I found an online kit to grow your own mushrooms at home. I ordered the Shittake kit. They send you a thing that has the spores already on there, and then the mushrooms will grow out of that. If you have an outdoor compost pit, they suggest throwing that thing in there when the mushrooms are done growing and then mushrooms will grow out of your compost. Cool! I can't do that, because I am doing the indoor worm bin, but maybe you can! They have these other cool things that you can stick in logs that will make mushrooms grow out of it. I might do that. It's hard to find a log in Brooklyn though.

1 Comments:

At October 14, 2005 at 4:22 PM, Blogger Jeni Q said...

You could try freezing your fruit before you add it to the bin. It's supposed to kill the fruit fly eggs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home