Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Making Progress

I ordered one pound of worms from the nice people at Organic Renewal Enterprises, a division of the Lower East Side Ecology Center. I will pick them up at the Union Square Greenmarket on Saturday. Christine, the woman I spoke with, says they have bins for sale as well. You can get a whole kit for $45, it includes a bin and the worms. I am using Red Wigglers, known to worm nerds as "Eisenia foetida". "Lumbricus rubellus" may be used also but I read it's not recommended because of some reasons I don't fully understand. Something to do with them getting out in the environment. Red Wigglers are perfectly suited to indoor composting. They don't mind small spaces and one pound of them can put away 3lbs of scraps per week! I still haven't decided whether to make my own bin or buy a pre-made one. I think I will take a trip to Fat Albert's and look at their selection of bins.

3 Comments:

At June 10, 2004 at 12:33 PM, Blogger kristiep said...

yay judy! i am so proud. i am sure soon you and the worms will be the best of friends. i look forward to future posts and pics of your new compost bin. -kp

 
At June 14, 2004 at 10:52 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

Ruff Ruff - I love my Auntie Judy!!! I love wormies. My mom hates worms but I think Auntie Judy will make her change her mind!

 
At June 14, 2004 at 10:52 AM, Blogger Ellie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home