Saturday, June 12, 2004

A Home for the Worms

I now know how to add images to my site. Doesn't it look fantastic?



This is the worm house.

Whew!! Today was pretty intense. I couldn't find a proper bin at any of the discount stores in Bushwick, so after a brief panic, I decided to used one I already had. I think it's perfect. I drilled several holes in the top and sides, and filled the inside with shredded paper (I have a very nice tiny office shredder I bought on the street for ten bucks. It's good to shred your old mail and credit card receipts and things, so you don't become a victim of identity theft!) I thought they might like some reading material, so I used the NY Times.
The air holes are important for ventilation - Worms breathe air just like us! I think they breath through their skin, but maybe I made that up. Before I put the worms in the bin, its important to moisten the newspaper "bedding". It should be damp like a squeezed out sponge. I think the worms like it sort of cave-like in there.
Tomorrow is a big day - the Worms are coming! I think I won't be able to sleep tonight. I am very excited.

1 Comments:

At March 13, 2006 at 10:13 AM, Blogger Coin said...

Any info on how to get some cans of worms in Brooklyn (or even Manhattan) ? Can get to the BBG. Wish to finish composting a plant compost bin (food scraps with leaves) and an animal compost bin (horse manure with leaves).

TY for any help,
nycace36

 

Post a Comment

<< Home